Summer Reading: Kumon to the Rescue
Summer is officially in full swing. If you haven’t already established a summer reading routine with your family, now is the perfect time to do so. Whether it is reading a story before bedtime or lounging out by the pool with a classic novel, it is important to set aside a specific time that can be devoted to daily reading. Studies show that the continuation of reading throughout the summer leads to higher academic achievement in the following school year.
In addition to reading at home, children benefit from reading programs, like Kumon. Literacy skills, including phonemic awareness, book knowledge, and print awareness, are strengthened through the Kumon Reading Program. The summer months are the ideal time to build confident and excited readers.
Here are a few benefits of beginning Kumon during the summer months:
- Helps children and teens retain and enhance their reading skills.
- Fosters a lifelong love of reading.
- Exposes children to classic literature. Reading stories by famous writers can help motivate children to become better writers.
- Develops problem-solving skills.
- Provides access to our Recommended Reading List.
Reading daily keeps the brain stimulated and prevents summer learning loss. Children benefit from Kumon because it makes them feel prepared and confident for the upcoming school year.
Create a structured summer reading routine with the help of Kumon for your own family. When does your family fit in reading during the summer? What are your family’s summer reading tips?