The Kumon Math and Reading Center of Castle Rock - Plum Creek nurtures better learning habits in kids by instilling a good work ethic and discipline. This unique self-study based method will enable each child to realize their true potential and achieve lasting academic success.
A detailed set of Kumon Center policies is provided during the Parent Orientation prior to enrollment. Below are the basics which apply to all enrolled families:
1. Classes are held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays (times listed on home page). Students are expected to attend two days (M, Th or Tues, Th) unless the parents discuss changes with Leo in advance.
2. Kumon is not tutoring. Kumon encourages independent learning, however the instructor is there for required guidance. Kumon follows its own curriculum and may or may not match the schools curriculum.
3. All students begin with a Comfortable Starting Point in Kumon. This is usually significantly lower than the actual ability or schoolwork. This starting point is non-negotiable.
4. Mastery of material (worksheets) is determined by accuracy time taken. Students are expected to practice material on several occasions by repeating the worksheets. All students do necessary repetition in Kumon. We believe that not only does Practice makes perfect, but PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!
5. Students work independently for approximately 30 minutes per subject daily. They are expected to complete the assignments and make corrections every day. Students attend the center twice a week and work at home for the rest of the days. The class work is graded at the center and homework is graded at home by the parents. Home grading is vital for the effectiveness of the Kumon program. If students fix corrections daily, they are less likely to repeat the same mistakes. Students are required to bring their homework promptly to be reviewed by the instructor.
6. Parents are requested to wait in the parent waiting area. The classroom is for students only. Parents are required to keep voices down to prevent distraction. If parents need to speak with the Instructor about their student, please email or call Leo to make an appointment.
7. Communication between parents and the Instructor is expected. As at school, the top performing Kumon students are supported by parents who routinely discuss their student's lesson plan and unique learning needs with the Instructor.
8. Student independence and self-learning are core principles of the Kumon Method of Learning which involves individualized study, NOT one-on-one tutoring.
9. Policies pertaining to monthly tuition payments, parent expectations, student behavior and other matters are provided during the Parent Orientation.